Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Windows DNS bug fix can impair firewalls

It all started after downloading Microsoft's latest updates. Though this is a valid fix, if you running a firewall like Zonealarm you may not be able to connect to the internet after the latest update.

I found out the hard way this morning. It all started with phone calls from a couple of friends complaining about network connections. At first I thought it might just be an ISP issue, but then DH installed the latest updates on his computer. After he rebooted all connectivity was lost. I still had internet on my Linux box, so it prompted me to call some people back and find out if they had recently updated. Sure enough they had. A brief news search turned up the answer. Hope this doesn't affect too many people, but I think it will....

I don't think that you should uninstall the MS hotfix like some are saying, but you might have to use another firewall product or use a workaround to survive. Perhaps it's time to move on to something else...

No comments: